Wintergreen Essential Oil is traditionally extracted from the leaves of the wintergreen plant. The active ingredient in wintergreen oil, methyl salicylate, is closely related to aspirin and has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. As such, products containing wintergreen oil are often used as an anti-inflammatory and topical pain reliever. It is used for painful conditions including headaches, nerve pain (particularly sciatica), arthritis, ovarian pain, and menstrual cramps
Benefits of Wintergreen Essential Oil:
- Pain and inflammation relief
- Treats infections and colds
- Used for menstrual cramps and headaches
- Soothes sore throats
How to use Wintergreen Essential Oil:
- Wintergreen oil is applied to the skin as a “counterirritant” to relieve muscle pain. Counterirritants work by causing irritation that reduces pain and swelling in the underlying tissue. Wintergreen oil is also used to kill germs on the skin.
- This oil can be mixed with a carrier oil to treat painful conditions including headache, nerve pain (particularly sciatica), arthritis, ovarian pain, and menstrual cramps.
Avoid contact with eyes and inner ears. Dilute with a carrier oil before use. Discontinue use if irritation or rash occurs. If you are pregnant or nursing, or have a history of allergic reactions, speak to a doctor before using any essential oil. Always store the oils in a safe area away from children.